Home

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Comfort Food… kind of

Well I don't know if I can classify banana bread as food… lets be serious, it is more like an indulgence.  On Sunday I had been craving some sort of comfort food all but I couldn't put my finger on it.  It wasn't pizza or wings or potato skins like I sometimes crave.  Then I opened up my fridge (for the 20th time) and the brown bananas finally hit me.  One of them had literally been in there for weeks and another brown banana and 2 halves had added up over time. I had intended on using these for bread for over a week but had not gotten around to it and wasn't too worried because banana bread is better after all when the bananas are mushy.  But then I knew they had been waiting for this day. 





Here is the my family's Banana Nut Bread Recipe. When my mom makes it, it is prefect.  
Banana Nut Bread
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp soft shortening
1 egg 
3/4 cup of milk
1 cup mashed bananas 
3 cups sifted flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt 
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Mix sugar, shortening and egg. Stir in milk and bananas . Add flour baking power and salt. Stir in nuts. Pour into well creased 9X5 loaf pan. Let stand 20 binutes before baking. Bake until toothpick stuck in center comes out clean, about 70 minutes at 350 degrees.

Well I was only wanting to indulge somewhat so as I often do, I modified a little. I only used 1/2 a cup of sugar, I used half whole wheat flour and there was probably more than a cup of bananas, but more of those is never bad.  The bread was a little more dense than when my mom makes this. I think this was because of the whole wheat.   When I make it again with whole wheat I will add even more bananas if I have them and/or maybe some applesauce.  The bread was good this dense for toasting purposes, it stayed together for the most part.


The loaf on the left is a Whole Wheat Maple bread that Jacob made the same day.  It was very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment